31 December, 2012

Out with the old, in with the new.

This year I'm taking that literally; as soon as I finish writing this I plan to clean out my closets, my make-up, and my life, though not necessarily in that order. :)

I realized, sometime in the past week, that while I don't always intend to, I have held onto a few things longer than I should have. It started with finding some make-up that I won 7 years ago! I think, in part, I held onto it because it was the first thing I ever won, (and also because it was really high quality stuff), but I'm also pretty sure that the fact that I haven't made a dent it any of it in SEVEN YEARS is a pretty good sign that I need to just let.it.GO. I have a lot of make-up, but I wear it so rarely, and I go through and inventory it even more rarely; that is definitely happening tonight. Anything more than a year old is getting tossed.

I also have a tendency to hold onto clothes, because I hate to waste even the tiniest scrap of fabric; and yet I continue to pile up scraps and pieces, with no real intention for them. I hope to take time this week to go through, and really narrow down my fabric box to only things that I really like, and will use/wear. Everything else is going in the trash (if it's too small to use) or Restore if there's enough of it that I think someone else could get some use out of it.

As far as my life, I really need to buckle down and focus on getting my nutrition in order. I was doing so well at the start of this year, and then my stomach problems starting getting to be too much. Once I cut out gluten (finally! It was so simple, can't figure out why it took me years to just do it) I started feeling better, but it threw my eating plan out the window; up till then I had relied on high fiber bread as a major part of my daily meal-plan. That, combined with an injury threw me into a depression in which I ate nothing but nachos and diet pills, and then started drinking more. (Brilliant, right?) Anyway, moral of the story is, I did not do my body well this past year. I have plans to fix it, gradually, and incorporate different things into an over-all lifestyle change, rather than a diet.

One of the major aspects of this is my intention to quit drinking. I've already gone almost three weeks now, and am ringing in the new year with sparkling apple cider. To keep myself in check Josh has agreed that if I can get through to next December without drinking, I'll get a Balenciaga for my birthday next year! Very exciting.

I've also decided to really start taking care of my skin. I've always made sure to wear a daily moisturizer, one with an SPF, but now that I'm heading towards 30 I'm taking it a lot more seriously. A face wash in each bathroom, day cream SPF 30, and a collagen building night cream are my new best friends. Also, definitely making sure to slather on the sunscreen anytime I spend more than 15 minutes on the sun. I know I got good genes, but I am not taking any chances!

Fashion-wise, I really want to focus more on investment pieces. Staples, if you will, classic pieces that will stand the test of time. I have no intention of stopping my thrifting, just cutting down my shopping sprees at regular stores. I have a few pieces in mind already, and am looking forward to sunny days when I can continue to expand my collection of sunglasses!

Anyway, these are my goals. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment