12 January, 2013

High fiber meal replacement smoothie

We all like smoothies, right? They're simple, tasty, and even in the dead of winter, there's nothing quite like a frozen treat. But a lot of them are packed full of sugar, and have no nutritional value whatsoever. And even some of the so-called healthy recipes you find online are good - but not great. I've been making healthy smoothies for years now, and have finally perfected my own personal recipe. It might not be for everyone, but I think if you give it a shot, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Supplies:

blender
kitchen scale (don't worry if you don't have one though)
large glass (it makes between 16 and 20 oz.)
measuring cup
spoon

Ingredients:

50 g kale (about three large leaves)
50 g spinach (about two large handfuls)
1 kiwi
1 cup raspberries
½ cup blueberries
½ cup cherries
4 medium strawberries
1 tbsp almond butter*
¼ cup water or white grape juice*


(*optional - the almond butter can also be substituted with a different nut butter, 1 tbsp chia seeds, or left out altogether, which is a good option if you're using it as a snack rather than a meal. The water or white grape juice can be used if it's not liquified enough for you to drink.)



Process:






Measure out all your ingredients, and wash your greens. Because I use the smaller blender part, I have to blend twice, but if you use a larger blender you can probably get it all in one go. I pack in half my ingredients, blend, then use the spoon to push it down and make room for the other half. Blend one more time, give it a stir to make sure there aren't any chunks, then pour it in your glass and enjoy!

Nutritional Breakdown:

With almond butter:

With chia seeds:

and without either one:

Chia seeds are the best way to keep calorie and fat content low while getting nearly an entire days worth of fiber (depending on your personal goals). I use them on days when I plan on eating avocado later in the day to keep my fat intake in check.

The almond butter, though, has the unique ability to kind of take over, taste-wise, despite being the smallest ingredient. I suggest trying it this way if you've never added kale and spinach to a smoothie, and you're scared the taste will be overwhelming. (Although I must add - it's not!)

Plain is also good though - I never though that I could drink kale without gagging, but this is how I drank it the first time I ever added kale to a smoothie, and I loved it! I was surprised by how well the fruit cuts the bitterness and since that day I've never made another smoothie without adding kale and spinach.

This is a great smoothie to make to start your day, and you can even make enough for a whole week at once, then keep them in separate containers in the freezer; thaw it while you get ready in the morning, then stick a straw in and drink it on your way to work or school.

I love smoothies, for their versatility, and for the simple fun of drinking a meal. Let me know if you try this one, or what your favorite smoothie recipe is!

[Edit] One last note I didn't think to add...I used frozen berries since it's the middle of winter, but during summer I try to use fresh and just add a couple of ice cubes! 

P.S. Joining:

StoneGable

No comments:

Post a Comment