05 March, 2013

Gluten free pancakes, a recipe.

So I made a recipe. Kind of. I did what I usually do, found something edible, and tweaked it until I had something (that at least Josh and I found) spectacular. I also know that pancakes aren't exactly rocket science, but you should also know that before I perfected this recipe, I didn't even care for pancakes all that much. I ate them growing up, when my mom made them, but I didn't make any myself until sometime last year. Even then, I only made them twice, because it was a lot of work for something that was just barely satisfactory. I don't like making things if I can't make them with a 'WOW' factor, so I stopped.

Once I went gluten-free I didn't miss them, really. But then I discovered that you can use pre-mixed gluten free pancake and waffle mixes for a lot of things. There's a few different brands (1.2.3 Gluten free, Pamela's, Bobs Red Mill, Hodgson Mill, Bisquik) but I like Hodgson mill the best. Anyway, if you're new to the gluten-free life, experiment a bit, or if you're down for it, buy all the different flours (plus xanthan gum) and mix up a pancake mix yourself. I can't justify doing it, since I've cut my baking down to almost nothing, but I have found that it's handy to keep a box or two of mix around to use when I need small amounts of flour, or get that rare craving for a pancake.

Which is what happened the other night. After seeing at least three different 'cinnamon bun pancake' recipes floating around last week, none of which were gluten free, I thought to myself, "SELF. Those people are doing it wrong. You could do this simpler, healthier, tastier, and gluten free. GET ON IT." So I did. I whipped up a batter, threw together a simple icing, and ate them. And they were delicious. So delicious, in fact, that I managed to convert myself not only to being a pancake fan, but a pancake aficionado. I suddenly desired to make delicious, gluten free, gourmet style pancakes. I have plans for chocolate ones, carrot cake ones, and apple pie ones (with a special twist), but for the moment, let me present my version of the cinnamon bun pancake. I'm calling them:


The pancakes are delicious by themselves, but I took them to the next level with a simple cream cheese glaze in between them, and some strawberries on top.

Ready to whip some up?

Here's what you'll need to know first:
This recipes makes two servings (four medium pancakes) and the nutrition facts at the end are for one serving, half the batter.

If you plan on making the glaze, pull your cream cheese out of the fridge and let it soften. Get your eggs out too, and let them get to room temperature. I would do this at least 30 minutes before you start making the pancakes. Same goes for the strawberries - mine were actually frozen, so I put them in the fridge last night so they could thaw.

15 minutes before you start, get your chia seeds soaking in a small container.



Ingredients:


Pancakes:
1 cup gluten free pancake & waffle mix (or, if you're fancy, your own gf flour/xanthan gum combo)
2 tbsp sugar (I used powdered, but any kind works.)
*2 tbsp chia seeds pre-soaked for 15 minutes in 3 tbsp water
2 eggs
2 tbsp sour cream
¾ cup milk
1 tbsp high-grade maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

**Icing:
1 tbsp cream cheese
1 heaping tbsp powdered sugar (reserve some for sprinkling)
1 tbsp milk

Strawberries:
Strawberries, thawed from frozen or fresh, your choice. (that's easy enough, right?)

Process:


Start mixing your batter. Combine all the dry ingredients in one large bowl (pancake mix, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder), and your wet ones in a smaller bowl (soaked chia seeds, eggs, milk, maple syrup, and sour cream.) Whisk the wet ingredients together until everything is well combined. Then pour them into the dry ingredients, and mix that together really well. If it doesn't look runny enough to you, add some milk one tablespoon at a time. (This can happen if you wait too long to start cooking it, the chia seeds will keep soaking up liquid.)

Pour one fourth of the batter (or less if you want to make smaller pancakes) into a nonstick pan heated to medium heat. Flip when bubbles start popping up on the uncooked side.

While that's happening combine the icing ingredients together in a small bowl, and whisk them together until they're well combined and the consistency of a thick icing. Spread on top of one cooked pancake that's already been plated. Cover with another cooked pancake. It'll melt and start oozing out the edges. That's a good thing, don't worry.

Pour your thawed strawberries (or fresh ones) on top of the pancakes, juice and all, and then sprinkle the last bit of your powdered sugar on top. (If you have to reach in the bag and get just a little more on your spoon, it's okay. I won't tell.) Serve immediately, and devour.


Breakdown:


So, obviously these would not fly as low calorie, but they're definitely worth the splurge, maybe as a treat on the weekend. (I fit them in today by keeping dinner light, and napping through lunch, though not intentionally.)

They are pretty high in fiber, thanks to the chia seeds, and if you use the oil the box recipe calls for instead of syrup (boring!) you could cut a lot of sugar (and probably a few calories). You could also drop the sour cream (it just helps to keep them fluffy) or substitute butter milk or whipping cream in it's place.

Again, I'm no expert, so if you don't like them, tweak the recipe, I won't be offended. Just know that Josh, who doesn't have to eat gluten free, said these are the best pancakes he's ever had, gluten free or not. ;)

 __________________________________________

*You don't have to use chia seeds in your batter, obviously, but I like them, and they really help to balance out the nutritional value without changing the taste very much.

**I forgot to mention that this is for one serving of icing. Josh ate his pancakes with just syrup.

Joining:



StoneGable


five days five ways | feature friday free for all

No comments:

Post a Comment