18 July, 2012

Summer projects

I seem to have fallen into a rut in which I scour my local ReStore for clean, new-looking clothing items, buy them, bring them home, wash them, and then hang them up in my craft room but don't ever wear them or use them for anything else. And so it is time to make some sew time. (You see what I did there?)

Currently I have a yellow shirt that is a touch too tight across the chest and the arms, a brown maxi dress with white polka dots that fits everywhere but the chest, approximately 4 pairs of bleached jeans, a striped shirt that won't go down over my chest (are you noticing a pattern here?) and another dress that my mother-in-law gave me that is a little shorter than I'm willing to wear.

I want to see if I can use the brown & white dress and alter it into something shorter, with an asymmetrical hem, and then use the fabric from the bottom and add it to the top, giving my boobs some room to breathe. I think it's totally do-able, but I have a horrible history of getting bored when I have to use my seam ripper and open things carefully to preserve fabric. But I'm going to try. I think I'm going to put this at the top of the sewing project list, mainly because I have a plan. Everything else I mentioned I just kind of stare at and hope that inspiration will strike.

In other non-sewing project news, we made a trip to Lowe's today and got all the materials I needed to start working on my night stands. We have two matching night stands, just regular little boring things, but they've moved with us...three times now and they are starting to show that they haven't always been taken care of properly, and so I think it's time they got some attention if they're going to continue to live in my bedroom.

Then we went to the new Ross that just opened up next to Kroger & Hobby Lobby, and I got some sheets that matched my paint color for the night stands perfectly! How awesome is that?! Anyway, hopefully that's the push I need to work on making the bedroom look like a bedroom and not a storage room. (It's not that bad, actually, but I don't have a place for my shoes, really, and we don't own a dresser either, so it can get messy if I'm not meticulous about cleaning it. And, duh, I'm not.) I guess the next step, once I've got it looking presentable might be to start looking for a small dresser.

Anyway. I'm getting way ahead of myself. I'm on day of one of what is sure to be at least a week long project, and there are a ton of other things that are far more important things on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment